Courses Overview >> Taught Postgraduate Programmes >> Postgraduate Language Requirements

Postgraduate Language Requirements


Schumacher College requires all applicants to demonstrate competence in the English language before they begin their proposed course of study. Students must be able to converse and write fluently in English. Below you can find what your language requirements are.

Help & Enquiries

 Admission Enquiries
email us  
+ 44 (0) 1803 847212


Do you have a UK passport or are from the UK?

All students from the UK should hold at a minimum a GCSE English Language qualification at Grade C or above.

Do you hold an E.U. passport?

Brexit : No confirmed plans for EU students have been announced.  You can keep uptodate here.

E.U. students who do not require a Tier 4 (General) visa to study in the UK should have the following:

IELTS Academic (B2 level) achieving 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 for each component: reading, writing, listening and speaking.


Pearson Test of English (Academic) achieving 62, with no less than 46 in each section.

Are there any exceptions to this requirement?
Students who do not require a visa to study in the UK and are nationals of a majority English-speaking country may be accepted without an English qualification. Please email to confirm if this exception relates to you.

Do you live outside of the E.U.?

To meet requirements for a Tier 4 visa to study at Schumacher College, you need to take the UKVI IELTS Academic at an approved Secure English Language Test (SELT) centre.

The entry standards are as follows:
You need to achieve a 6.5 overall with a minimum of a 5.5 for each component: reading, writing, listening and speaking. This is equivalent to a B2 level.

You can find detailed information about Tier 4 visa English language requirements, including a list of approved centres here:

Are there any exceptions to this requirement?
There are few exceptions. To check if any apply to you, please check the up-to-date information provided by the Home Office here: If you believe you are exempt, contact us at

Where can I book my UKVI IELTS test?
To book an IELTS ACADEMIC UKVI test:

How long is my test certificate valid for?
Test results are valid for 2 years.

When should I book my test?
We highly recommend booking a test as soon as you make an application to Schumacher College. UKVI IELTS test sites can become very busy and it may be difficult to find a convenient date and location.



Do You Need Any Help?

We are not authorised or regulated to give visa advice, however we can do our best to point you in the right direction. Email us on or give us a call on +44(0)1803 847212.

Is there anyone else who can help?
It is best to speak with the Postgraduate Administration team at Schumacher College first, however if you are applying to study a programme awarded by the University of Plymouth (which does not include MA Myth and Ecology), you may also ask for support from the University of Plymouth International Student Advisory Service (ISAS). If you contact ISAS, let them know that you are applying for a programme from a Higher Education Provider. (Schumacher College is not a Higher Education Institution.) You can also find useful information on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.